'The Rite' Number 1 At Weekend Box Office
Anthony Hopkins proved his dominance with thrillers, winning the box office with The Rite, an exorcism drama that recalls Hopkins' iconic role as cannibal Hannibal Lector.
With a gross of $15 million, The Rite topped the Natalie Portman (pictured)-Ashton Kutcher romantic comedy No Strings Attached, which held on reasonably well from its opening last week with $13.7 million. The only other new release of the weekend, Jason Statham's The Mechanic, tied for third place with Seth Rogan's superhero comedy The Green Hornet; both movies finished with $11.5 million.
Though overall ticket sales were down 12 percent from a year ago, the weekend was not as lackluster as previous weeks, when ticket sales had been off by as much as 30 percent. —ISHITA SINGH
Read below for full box office totals:
Title, Weekend Gross; Total
1. The Rite, $15 million; $15 million
2. No Strings Attached, $13.7 million; $39.7 million
3. The Green Hornet, $11.5 million; $78.8 million
4. The Mechanic, $11.5 million; $11.5 million
5. The King's Speech, $11.1 million; $72.2 million
6. True Grit, $7.6 million; $148.4 million
7. The Dilemma, $5.5 million; $40.6 million
8. Black Swan, $5.1 million; $90.7 million
9. The Fighter, $4.1 million; $78.4 million
10. Yogi Bear, $3.2 million; $92.5 million
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV