'Tangled' Beats 'Harry Potter' At The Box Office
Bewitching hair trumped magic wands at the box office this weekend, as Disney's Tangled took the number one spot, knocking Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 out of the top spot for the first time since its November 19 release.
The animated tale based on "Rapunzel" took in $21.5 million, raising its domestic total to $96.5 million. Harry Potter took in $16.7 million, raising its haul to $244.2 million. With only one movie opening in wide release this weekend (The Warrior's Way, featuring Kate Bosworth), this weekend was the second-slowest at the movie theaters this year, with only $88 million in total receipts.
Denzel Washington's thriller, Unstoppable, and the Cher/Christina Aguilera musical, Burlesque, were in a virtual tie for third, each taking in $6.1 million. The Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal romantic dramedy, Love and Other Drugs, took the fifth spot, with $5.7 million.
A number of notable movies opened in limited release, including the Natalie Portman ballet drama The Black Swan, which took in a huge $1.4 million in just 18 theaters. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor's film about a prison romance, I Love You, Phillip Morris, opened in six theaters. —ISHITA SINGH
Read below for full box office totals:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV