'Star Trek' Nude Scene: Producer Admits It Was Gratuitous, Apologizes
Star Trek Into Darkness features a scene in which Dr. Carol Marcus (Alice Eve) strips down to just a bra and underwear in front of Captain Kirk (Chris Pine) for no clear narrative purpose or effect.
Since the second Star Wars installment hit theaters on May 16, fans of the franchise have been speaking out against the scene. One such irritated fan was Marry Sue’s Jill Pantozzi.
“Eve’s character of Dr. Carol Marcus was touted to have incredible intelligence, though instead of allowing her to use it to effect the plot, she was used as the most blatant eye-candy I’ve seen in a long time,” Pantozzi wrote. “We see this kind of thing a lot in Hollywood, sure, but the scene in question was akin to an actor holding up and verbally speaking the name of a can of Coca-Cola during a scene about cats or general surgery.”
Damon Lindelof, the producer of Star Trek Into Darkness, took to Twitter to address the scene that many found to be blantantly sexist. “I copped to the fact that we should have done a better job of not being gratuitous in our representation of a barely clothed actress,” Lindelof wrote, adding, “We also had Kirk shirtless in underpants in both movies. Do not want to make light of something that some construe as mysogenistic [sic].
“What I’m saying is I hear you, I take responsibility and will be more mindful in the future."
It also probably didn’t help the scene’s reception that Eve’s character was virtually the only female character who had speaking lines in Star Trek Into Darkness.
Most Popular News
- Sidney Poitier Receives Standing Ovation While Presenting Best Director At The Oscars
- Marc Anthony Collects 4 Awards At Premio Lo Nuestro A La Musica Latina Gala
- 'Fantastic Four' Casting: Michael B. Jordan And Kate Mara Confirmed For Reboot, Miles Teller And Jamie Bell Rumored
- 'Talking Angela' Children's App Victim Of Online Hoax Claiming The App Is Dangerous
- Who Is NFL Running Back Reggie Bush's Wife-To-Be Lilit Avagyan?
Most Popular Videos
Top Comedy Videos
Harry Connick, Jr: 'I Married The Girl Of My Dreams' - Your Tango