RECAP: Jessica Sanchez & Phillip Phillips Duel On 'American Idol'
The final two contestants on American Idol — soulful singer Jessica Sanchez and guitar-picking soft-rocker Phillip Phillips (pictured) — campaigned for voters' hearts on Tuesday with three performances each.
In round one, Sanchez, 16, who is from San Diego, opened the show with a rendition of Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing," followed by Phillips' rendition of Ben E. King's "Stand by Me." According to judge Randy Jackson, round one went to Sanchez.
Round two: the contestants got to resurrect their favorite songs from the past season. Sanchez chose Celine Dion's "The Prayer." Phillips performed Bily Joel's "Moving Out." Judge Steven Tyler wasn't thrilled with Phillips' performance. "You don't always have to be a good egg. Hatch or go bad. And tonight, you know, he's hatched some, but I would have to say that Jessica took it again," Tyler said, but judge Jennifer Lopez disagreed. She said Phillips was better. Jackson called it a "dead heat" by round two.
In the final round, the contestants sang original songs that would become their first singles. Sanchez's, called "Change Nothing," did not go over well with the judges. "I did not love the song," Jackson said, and Lopez said she wanted to see a greater display of Sanchez's soul. "I know how good you can sing and so can millions of people in America and all over the world," Tyler, who seemed to be in agreement with his panel, said.
Then it was Phillips' turn to do "Home," a flagrant Mumford and Sons knock-off. "Dude. I love the song. I love you. I love the production. I love the marching band," Jackson said. "What was moving about that was that it was so different," Lopez said, adding: "I couldn't think of any other singer or band that you sounded like."
Last year's winner, Scotty McCreery, took it home with "Please Remember Me."
Watch Phillips perform "Home" here:
Read more here:
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Jennifer Lopez Films 'Live It Up' Music Video, Gunshots Fired During On Set Interview
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV