RECAP: 'American Idol' Top 5 Duke It Out
With only five contestants left, American Idol hosted a tribute to the music of the '60s and British pop on Wednesday. With glowing reviews from judges Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson for all five contestants, many are left to wonder who will be eliminated on Thursday.
Perhaps the singer in the hottest water is Phillip Phillips, whose performances of the Box Tops' "The Letter" and the Zombies' "Time of the Season" received praise for his originality, but the reviews were nowhere as hyperbolic as those for Hollie Cavanagh, Jessica Sanchez, Skylar Laine and Joshua Ledet.
Cavanagh, who has demonstrated remarkable growth and staying power, was lauded unequivocally for her performance of "River Deep, Mountain High" and Leona Lewis' "Bleeding Love," and then was told by Jackson that she was "peaking at just the right moment." Meanwhile, Laine, who sang CCR's "Fortunate Son" and Dusty Springfield's "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me," was told that she could go all the way. "You're winning over the hearts of America as we speak," Lopez told her.
Sanchez, whose rendition of Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" failed to wow the judges in the first round, took the lead with her second number, Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful." "This girl's in the top of the leader board," Jackson said of Sanchez, but that was before Ledet took the stage for the final, show-stopping number of the night. Ledet's performance of the Bee Gee's "To Love Somebody" received a standing ovation from the judges and prompted Lopez to say, "I think you're one of the best singers I've seen in 50 years."
And watch Ledet's performance here:
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV