RECAP: 12 Girls Compete To Be Next 'American Idol'
Wednesday night's episode of American Idol — the second live show of the season — proved to be tough on the top 12 female contestants, who sang their hearts out in front of judges Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson. Unfortunately for the contestants (and for those aching for the first female in five seasons to win the top prize), the judges did not seem too impressed overall.
Among those trying to ape Carrie Underwood's small town girl turned country superstar narrative were Chelsea Sorrell, Skylar Laine and Baylie Brown, who sang renditions of Underwood's "Cowboy Casanova," "Stay with Me" by Faces and Lonestar's "Amazed," respectively. Laine made the most favorable impression of these three, with a performance that the judges characterized as "Reba mixed with Kelly Clarkson" or "like Tina Turner went country."
Another stand-out of the night was Jessica Sanchez, who initially complained of swollen vocal chords leading up to her performance of Jennifer Hudson's "Love You I Do," from Dreamgirls. But if there were any injuries, they did not show during Sanchez's exhibition of "control" and "swagger," according to Lopez.
Ironically, Adele's "One and Only" was performed twice Wednesday night — by Jennifer Hirsch and Elise Testone. Who did it better? By Lopez's account, it was Testone, whom she called "one of the best singers, maybe the best singer, here."
So there you have it.
Watch Brown perform "Amazed" here:
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- Michael Keaton Suits Up For ‘Birdman’
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Clive Owen Video Interview On 'Shadow Dancer,' Playing An MI-5 Agent
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic