Phillip Phillips Win Wins 'American Idol' Over Jessica Sanchez
Season 11 of FOX's American Idol — the most-watched show on television — has come and gone, leaving in its wake winner Phillip Phillips, 21, and runner-up Jessica Sanchez, 16. At the end of an epic, two-hour finale on Wednesday featuring performances by Jennifer Lopez, Reba McEntire, Jordin Sparks, Neil Diamond, Aerosmith and an over-the-top, show-stopping duet of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" between Sanchez and original Dreamgirls star Jennifer Holiday, host Ryan Seacrest announced Phillips as the winner.
There was also a marriage proposal (Diana DeGarmo said yes to Ace Young), a Robin Gibb tribute, a literal "singing the phone book" number and plenty of catsuits to go around.
"Telescope has counted and certified a world-record 132 million votes," Seacrest said, holding the suspense to the bitter end.
"I'm kind of relieved that this whole thing is over, but I am also going to miss everybody here," Sanchez told MTV News. "But, I'm gonna see my Idol family on tour, so I'm thankful for that. And I really think that Phillip really deserved to win, and I'm so happy for him."
Watch Phillips' backstage reaction here:
Get More: Music News
Read more about American Idol here:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV