Philip Treacy, Designer of Princess Beatrice's Wacky Hat, Defends His Creation
Hatmaker extraordinaire, Philip Treacy, defended the bow-trimmed hat he designed for Princess Beatrice of York to wear at Kate Middleton and Prince Harry's Royal Wedding. In a recent interview, Treacy chided the media for bullying the young princess and predicted that future generations will look back on her headdress in awe.
"I felt hurt for her. She is only 22 and there was a little bit of bullying going on. I didn't give a f--k about 140,000 bloggers," the 44-year-old Treacy told Britain's The Observer. "In the future, we'll look back and think she looked wild."
Treacy said his inspiration behind the mauve headgear was drawn from Princess Beatrice's royal lineage and dainty features. "Princess Beatrice is Queen Victoria's great, great, great, great granddaughter and looks like Queen Victoria," he told The Observer. "I thought of her as a beautiful, exotic, Victorian doll. I thought I was making a hat with a bow on it." He certainly made more than that.
The hat may not have been a big hoot with fashion critics, but it did rake in some major money on eBay. After the Royal Wedding in April, it was auctioned off and sold for a grand total of $130,000. All proceeds were donated to charity.
Treacy, who also manufactures haute couture handbags and hats for men, made more than 30 hats for Middleton and Prince Harry's ceremony. While they are exclusively made in London, Treacy's designs are sold at select Neiman Marcus, Saks and independent boutiques in the States.
As for his next project, he may be signing on an international pop star as an apprentice. Lady Gaga has sought out an internship with Treacy, which he reportedly is looking forward to. "She's already visited me," he said to The Observer. He later added, "She is young, talented and peculiar — which I like."
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Jennifer Lopez Films 'Live It Up' Music Video, Gunshots Fired During On Set Interview
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV