Phillip Seymour Hoffman was found dead on Sunday with a syringe still in his left arm and nearly 50 bags of heroin in his apartment.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's Last Weekend

Hoffman, 46, had apparently withdrawn $1,200 from an ATM at a grocer in the West Village neighborhood of New York City in which he lived on Saturday night. Police claim that he was seen speaking to two men who were sporting messenger bags while making the withdrawals, reported CNN.

Earlier in the day, the manager of a local café at which Hoffman was a regular spoke with the actor and thought he seemed fine. Hoffman’s assistant spoke with him on the phone early in the afternoon, and also suggested that nothing seemed off about her employer.

Mimi O’Donnell, Hoffman’s longtime partner and the mother of his three children, thought otherwise. When she saw him on Saturday afternoon and later spoke with him over the phone, she thought he seemed high, according to CNN.

It was after Hoffman grabbed dinner with two companions that he reportedly headed to the ATM to make a total of six transactions to get the desired $1,200. The next morning, the Capote actor neglected to pick up his kids. Around 11 a.m. his friend, playwright David Katz, found him dead in an apparent drug overdose. When police arrived at the scene a half hour later, they discovered the 50 bags of heroin, in addition to prescription drugs and used syringes.

Hoffman's Heroin Relapse

Although it was known that Hoffman had entered rehab in spring of 2013 to deal with a prescription pill and short-lived heroin addiction, it’s only recently been discovered that the actor had relapsed. At the Sundance Film Festival, the actor allegedly admitted he was back off the wagon, telling a complete stranger, magazine publisher John Arundel, “I’m a heroin addict,” when Arundel didn’t initially recognize him, according to the Daily Mail.

In December, Hoffman supposedly headed back to rehab and had been telling close friends that he knew if he didn’t stop using, he’d likely die of a heroin overdose. O’Donnell had asked him to move out of their shared home while he continued to battle his addiction for the sake of their children.

"It was known that he was struggling to stay sober, and girlfriend Mimi O’Donnell had given him some tough love and told him he needed some time away from the kids and to get straight again," a source told the New York Post. That was three months ago.

Hoffman’s autopsy, which was supposed to be conducted on Monday, has been postponed to Tuesday.

– Chelsea Regan

Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.

Get the FREE Uinterview iPad app here and watch our videos anywhere.