'Paranormal Activity 2' Hits Number One At The Box Office
You don't need a big star to make a blockbuster: after last weekend's monumental Jackass 3D opening, the number one movie this weekend was the similarly starless Paranormal Activity 2.
The horror sequel, directed by newcomer Tod Williams made $41.5 million this weekend, outpacing the gross-out stunt film Jackass 3D, which took in $21.6 million after its record breaking opening weekend. Paranormal Activity 2 also set new records, scoring the highest weekend opening for any supernatural horror movie ever.
Clint Eastwood's supernatural drama, Hereafter, starring Matt Damon, also released wide, and made $12 million, enough to earn it the number four spot at the box office. Elderly action comedy Red, starring Helen Mirren, Bruce Willis, and Morgan Freeman held steady at number three with $15 million, while The Social Network rounded out the top five, making $7.3 million in its fourth week. –AMY LEE
Full Box Office results below:
1. Paranormal Activity 2, $41.5 million
2. Jackass 3D, $21.6 million
3. Red, $15.0 million
4. Hereafter, $12.0 million
5. The Social Network, $7.3 million
6. Secretariat, $6.9 million
7. Life as We Know It, $6.2 million
8. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, $3.2 million
9. The Town $2.7 million
10. Easy A, $1.8 million
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV