Oprah Winfrey’s Yard Sale Yields $600,000; Proceeds Going To Charity
Oprah Winfrey hosted a yard sale over the weekend to unload some of her belongings to collect money for charity – ultimately fetching $600,000.
Winfrey put her things on display inside three tents on the polo grounds in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Saturday, reported People. The 59-year-old esteemed talk show host had collected items from her three homes – in California, Indiana and Hawaii – to put on the “epic yard sale.”
"I've been accumulating things since 1985," Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight. "It's just too much stuff. I talk about it a lot in [O] the magazine. We talk about decluttering. And I realized, I need to declutter my own life. It is very freeing. I am downsizing."
The best selling items of the day were a set of six 18th century Louis XVI armchairs. Together, they went for $60,000, or 10% of the entire earnings. Two 13-ft sofas went for $8,750. Crystal lamp vases, meanwhile, fetched $2,500.
All $600,000 of the proceeds will be donated to Winfrey’s Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa.
– Chelsea Regan
Most Popular News
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- Bill Skarsgard & Landon Liboiron On Their 'Hemlock Grove' Characters' 'Sexual Tension,' Gay Undertones [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- German Soccer Squad Returns Home To Heroes Welcome After World Cup Victory
- 'Grey'¬ôs Anatomy': Season 11 Spoilers From Shonda Rhimes
- Pat Summerall, Iconic NFL Announcer, Dies At 82
Most Popular Videos
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Eli Roth & Famke Janssen On 'Hemlock Grove'
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana