Oprah Winfrey’s Yard Sale Yields $600,000; Proceeds Going To Charity
Oprah Winfrey hosted a yard sale over the weekend to unload some of her belongings to collect money for charity – ultimately fetching $600,000.
Winfrey put her things on display inside three tents on the polo grounds in Santa Barbara, Calif., on Saturday, reported People. The 59-year-old esteemed talk show host had collected items from her three homes – in California, Indiana and Hawaii – to put on the “epic yard sale.”
"I've been accumulating things since 1985," Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight. "It's just too much stuff. I talk about it a lot in [O] the magazine. We talk about decluttering. And I realized, I need to declutter my own life. It is very freeing. I am downsizing."
The best selling items of the day were a set of six 18th century Louis XVI armchairs. Together, they went for $60,000, or 10% of the entire earnings. Two 13-ft sofas went for $8,750. Crystal lamp vases, meanwhile, fetched $2,500.
All $600,000 of the proceeds will be donated to Winfrey’s Leadership Academy for Girls in South Africa.
– Chelsea Regan
Most Popular News
- Submarine Shark Hoax: 'Shark Of Darkness: Wrath Of Submarine' Is Discovery Channel's Latest Shark Week Mockumentary
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- Lourdes Leon Hits The Beach In A Bikini
- 'War Machine' Jon Koppenhaver, Goes On Twitter Rant Following Alleged Beating Of Girlfriend, Christy Mack
- John Denver's Aspen Home Is Back On The Market; Owners Selling For $10.75 Million
Most Popular Videos
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Jacki Weaver On 'Magic In The Moonlight,' Woody Allen