O.J. Simpson Paroled, Will Serve At Least 4 More Years In Prison
O.J. Simpson was granted parole on a number of the convictions that had landed him behind bars almost five years ago.
Last Thursday, Simpson, 66, made his case for parole in front of a two-person panel. The former NFL player contended that he was penitent for his crimes and has conducted himself impeccably during his imprisonment. Furthermore, Simpson suggested that his crimes were less severe than those of inmates he’d spoken with behind bars.
“They were trying to steal other people's property,” he said, according to the Los Angeles Times. “They were trying to steal other people's money.... My crime was trying to retrieve for my family my own property."
The Nevada Board of Parole Commissioners released the order on Wednesday that Simpson would be paroled on certain charges, but would serve out four more years of his sentence. However, the former USC running back could feasibly get out of jail much sooner, as a Clark County district judge is reportedly contemplating whether Simpson’s attorney botched his defense, validating a call for a new trial
In December 2008, Simpson was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon, robbery, burglary and kidnapping after he tried to recoup memorabilia he said belonged to him. At the time, he was sentenced to 9-33 years behind bars.
– Chelsea Regan
For More News In The Courts:
Ariel Castro Offered Plea Deal: Accused Cleveland Kidnapper Would Not Face Death Penalty, Get Life + 1000 Years
Most Popular News
- Spiderman And More Capture Hearts At Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade [SLIDESHOW]
- Sophie Kennedy Clark On 'Philomena'Â™ & Judi Dench [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- BREAKING NEWS: Paul Walker Dies At Age 40 In Tragic Car Accident
- Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell: Paul Walker'Â™s Girlfriend Collapsed After Learning Of His Death
- Lady Gaga Arrives On Horse To 2013 AMAs, Performs With R Kelly
Most Popular Videos
Scarlett Johansson And Joseph Gordon-Levitt On 'Don Jon,' Sex Scenes
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Wong Kar-wai Video Interview On 'The Grandmaster'
Patricia Cornwell Video Interview On 'Dust,' Kay Scarpetta, Sandy Hook, Her New TV Show
Steve Coogan Video Interview On 'Philomenia,' Judi Dench
Top Comedy Videos
The Most Shocking Celebrity Breakups Of 2013 - Your Tango
- Ryan Gosling & Rachel McAdams, Please Make Babies Already! - Your Tango
- Peter Jackson’s 10 Best Action Sequences - MovieFone