Nigel Lythgoe And Ken Warwick Fired From ‘American Idol’; Per Blankens Hired As New Producer
Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warwick, the longtime executive producers of the Fox singing competition American Idol, have been fired from the show. Producers announced Monday that they had hired Per Blankens, the producer of Swedish Idol, to replace them. “It has been a tremendous honor to launch and build American Idol over the course of a decade and to see it recognized with 51 nominations and 6 Emmy Awards including the Academy’s highest honor, the Governors Award," Lythgoe said in a statement.
With ratings at an all time low — down 33 percent from last year — Fox felt it had no choice but to go in another direction. “The passion and dedication that Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warwick brought to American Idol guided the show to become a true cultural phenomenon,” Fox said in a statement. “While we are saddened they will no longer be executive producers on the show, we are grateful for their tremendous contributions and look forward to continuing to work with them on additional projects.”
American Idol also confirmed that new judges will be added for the show’s 13th season, as Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, and original judge Randy Jackson will not be returning.
Most Popular News
- Submarine Shark Hoax: 'Shark Of Darkness: Wrath Of Submarine' Is Discovery Channel's Latest Shark Week Mockumentary
- Lourdes Leon Hits The Beach In A Bikini
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- 'War Machine' Jon Koppenhaver, Goes On Twitter Rant Following Alleged Beating Of Girlfriend, Christy Mack
- Tony Stewart Crash Update: New Video Surfaces Of Wreck That Killed Kevin Ward Jr.
Most Popular Videos
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Jacki Weaver On 'Magic In The Moonlight,' Woody Allen