'Narnia' Tops 'The Tourist' in Slow Weekend at Box Office
The voyage got off to a disappointing start. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader pulled in an underwhelming $24.5 million at the box office this weekend, but managed to top the box office and crush the Angelina Jolie-Johnny Depp action flick, The Tourist, which brought in only $17 million.
Admissions fell short of their mark a year earlier for the fourth weekend in a row, and overall, this weekend's box office business was off almost 5 percent from 2009, when Princess and the Frog led, according to Box Office Mojo. Tangled, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Unstoppable, which were third, fourth and fifth, respectively, this weekend, all dropped significantly from last week in terms of audience.
But prestige films fared very well in limited release, especially Natalie Portman's ballet thriller, The Black Swan, which took in $3.3 million in only 90 locations, ranking sixth for the weekend. The Fighter, starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, picked up $320,000 in just four showings, with wide release slated for Friday. Colin Firth's drama, The King's Speech, also did well, grossing almost $600,000 in 19 locations. All three movies have gotten significant awards buzz. —ISHITA SINGH
Read below for full box office totals:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV