FASHION WEEK: Monique Lhuillier Debuts Water-Inspired Spring 2013 Collection
Los Angeles-based designer Monique Lhuillier gave a sneak preview of her first shoe collection during Fashion Week, which will apparently include black cage booties, but the focus of the show was her Spring 2013 collection, inspired by the life of the sea. Rainbow-colored fish, waving algae and luminous water may have been the concepts behind several of her gowns and outfits, which came to life with bright turquoises and aquas, digital prints and glass-like embroidery. Think mermaid chic. “This season is all about water,” Lhuillier told Inquirer, explaining that models' hair was crimped to create a wet effect. “I wanted a feel like they were very elongated and sensual and just emerged from the shower," Lhuillier said, adding that she envisioned "a very sensual woman" wearing her designs.
Many of Lhuillier's pieces also sported peplum details — one in particular, a slim-fit leather dress in a bold oxblood tone (all the rage this upcoming Fall season), incorporated the peplum design subtly and gracefully, adding shape and volume to the silhouette.
Famous faces in the crowd included Padma Lakshmi, Odette Annable and Lhuillier's CEO husband Tom Bugbee. Also there for moral support was Lhuillier's biggest fan and Cebu jeweler, mother Amparito Lhuillier. “That’s been her dream since she was 10 years old,” Amparito said. “When she finished high school she told me she wanted to be in fashion, I told her not yet, when you get a little older because it’s a very complicated career.” Philippines-born Lhuillier launched her first bridal collection in 1996, and has since been worn by Gwyneth Paltrow, Reese Witherspoon, Kristen Stewart, Drew Barrymore, Hilary Swank, Jennifer Lopez, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Shannen Doherty and Sarah Michelle Gellar.
Check out Monique Lhuillier's Winter 2012/2013 collection for this upcoming season:
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV