Psychic Presley 'Rhonda' Gridley Ordered To Pay $6.8 Million After 911 Call Falsely Accuses Couple
Presley 'Rhonda' Gridley, a self-proclaimed psychic, was ordered to pay $6.8 million dollars to Texas couple Joe Bankston and Gena Charlton after claiming there was a mass grave at their home, reported the Houston Chronicle.
Back in June 2011, Gridley placed a call into the Liberty Count, Tex., Sherriff’s Office, alleging that Bankston and Charlton were hiding a mass grave of 25 to 30 dismembered bodies. The tip was soon leaked to the media, which injured the couple’s reputation in the area and cast a shadow on their names.
Not only did the defamatory accusations take an emotional toll on Bankston and Charlton, it also led to the destruction of their property. Having been on vacation when the false story broke, “They say they returned home to a house full of broken dishes, overturned furniture, and animal urine and feces,” according to the Dallas Observer. The newspaper also revealed that some former friends of the pair have severed ties.
Gridley failed to appear at a May 7 court date before Judge Carl Ginsberg, who ultimately found her liable for a sum of $3 million in damages to Bankston and $3,849,000 in damages to Charlton.
Most Popular News
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- Aimee Richardson Is A 'Princess For Hire' After 'Game Of Thrones' Recasting
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant Patrick Jagodzinski On Andi Dorfman's Pick Of Josh Murray & Who Should Be The Next Bachelor [EXCLUSIVE]
- Bill Skarsgard & Landon Liboiron On Their 'Hemlock Grove' Characters' 'Sexual Tension,' Gay Undertones [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- German Soccer Squad Returns Home To Heroes Welcome After World Cup Victory
Most Popular Videos
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Eli Roth & Famke Janssen On 'Hemlock Grove'