‘Girly’ Marine Hats Not Obama’s Suggestion, Won’t Be Implemented
The Marine Corps would be adopting ‘girly’ unisex hats due to a directive by President Barack Obama, headlines read yesterday. Today, however, not only has Obama’s involvement been refuted, but the concept of the new hats has been dismissed as well.
The new covers for the Marine Corps were first reported by the New York Post. A senior Marine official decried the uniform alteration by using “girly” as a pejorative, and admonished the Department of Defense’s involvement in such matters. “We don’t even have enough funding to buy bullets, and the DoD is pushing to spend $8 million on covers that look like women’s hats,” the Marine source told The Post. “The Marines deserve better. It makes them look ridiculous.”
An investigation by other news outlets found that Obama and the Department of Defense had nothing to do with the new hat proposal, and changing the male cover is off the table, according to The Daily Beast.
“As to the question whether the president directed the Marine Corps to change its cover: Absolutely not,” the Marine Corps Commandant’s public affairs officer told the website. “The Marine Corps has zero intention of changing the male cover.”
In order for a new cover design to become a part of the military uniform, the Marine Corps Uniform Board would have had to propose it. Then, the Marine Corps Commandant James Amos would need to sign off on any final decision.
– Chelsea Regan
Most Popular News
- Sidney Poitier Receives Standing Ovation While Presenting Best Director At The Oscars
- Marc Anthony Collects 4 Awards At Premio Lo Nuestro A La Musica Latina Gala
- 'Fantastic Four' Casting: Michael B. Jordan And Kate Mara Confirmed For Reboot, Miles Teller And Jamie Bell Rumored
- 'Talking Angela' Children's App Victim Of Online Hoax Claiming The App Is Dangerous
- Who Is NFL Running Back Reggie Bush's Wife-To-Be Lilit Avagyan?
Most Popular Videos
Top Comedy Videos
Harry Connick, Jr: 'I Married The Girl Of My Dreams' - Your Tango