Leslie Barrett, Bell's Palsy Sufferer, Dons McKayla Maroney Not-Impressed Costume
McKayla Maroney's facial expression atop the silver podium at the 2012 London Olympics instantly became a viral meme. This past October, it became a Halloween costume for a young woman suffering from Bell’s palsy.
Leslie Barrett was diagnosed with Bell’s palsy in August of this year, which has left her face partially paralyzed. Barrett decided to use her ailment to her advantage when it came time for Halloween, sporting a leotard, an athletic jacking and wearing a medal around her neck. She completed the look with the gymnast’s slicked back hair, a small bouquet of flowers – and of course – the "not impressed" scowl.
McKayla Maroney Halloween Costume
Earlier this month, Barrett took to Facebook to share a picture of herself next to Maroney’s famous pose on the athlete’s page. “Two months ago I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy, which means the right side of my face is temporarily paralyzed and I can only express emotion on my left,” she captioned the photos. “Last week at a party someone pointed out that I normally look like your "not impressed" face. I decided to incorporate my disability into my Halloween costume and dress up as you.”
“This has hands down been the best costume I've ever had,” Barrett added. “It was the first time in months I got to look like I was intentionally making a face and it has helped me deal with the slow recovery a little better.”
– Chelsea Regan
Most Popular News
- Sidney Poitier Receives Standing Ovation While Presenting Best Director At The Oscars
- Marc Anthony Collects 4 Awards At Premio Lo Nuestro A La Musica Latina Gala
- 'Fantastic Four' Casting: Michael B. Jordan And Kate Mara Confirmed For Reboot, Miles Teller And Jamie Bell Rumored
- 'Talking Angela' Children's App Victim Of Online Hoax Claiming The App Is Dangerous
- Who Is NFL Running Back Reggie Bush's Wife-To-Be Lilit Avagyan?
Most Popular Videos
Top Comedy Videos
Harry Connick, Jr: 'I Married The Girl Of My Dreams' - Your Tango