Lauryn Hill Sentenced To 3 Months Behind Bars
Musician Lauryn Hill was sentenced yesterday to three months in prison, followed by three months of house arrest for tax evasion.
Hill, who shot to fame in the 90s as part of The Fugees, pleaded guilty when charged with failing to pay taxes during the years 2005-2007. Hill, who reportedly earned $1.8 million in those three years, was arrested last year and faced up to three years in prison. In addition to paying her taxes, Hill also has to pay a $60,000 fine for the delay.
Hill told U.S. District Court Judge Madeline Cox Arleo that she did not file her taxes in an effort to protect her six children. Hill continued by saying that the abuses she suffered while in the music industry are to blame for her current situation.
“I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me,” Hill stated, according to Forbes. “I sold 50 million units…now I’m up here paying a tax debt. If that’s not likened to slavery, I don’t know what is.”
Hill, who is not shy about expressing her distaste for the music industry, recently signed a record deal with Sony. She is to report to prison on July 8.
Most Popular News
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- Aimee Richardson Is A 'Princess For Hire' After 'Game Of Thrones' Recasting
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant Patrick Jagodzinski On Andi Dorfman's Pick Of Josh Murray & Who Should Be The Next Bachelor [EXCLUSIVE]
- Bill Skarsgard & Landon Liboiron On Their 'Hemlock Grove' Characters' 'Sexual Tension,' Gay Undertones [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- German Soccer Squad Returns Home To Heroes Welcome After World Cup Victory
Most Popular Videos
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Eli Roth & Famke Janssen On 'Hemlock Grove'