Lauryn Hill Sentenced To 3 Months Behind Bars
Musician Lauryn Hill was sentenced yesterday to three months in prison, followed by three months of house arrest for tax evasion.
Hill, who shot to fame in the 90s as part of The Fugees, pleaded guilty when charged with failing to pay taxes during the years 2005-2007. Hill, who reportedly earned $1.8 million in those three years, was arrested last year and faced up to three years in prison. In addition to paying her taxes, Hill also has to pay a $60,000 fine for the delay.
Hill told U.S. District Court Judge Madeline Cox Arleo that she did not file her taxes in an effort to protect her six children. Hill continued by saying that the abuses she suffered while in the music industry are to blame for her current situation.
“I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me,” Hill stated, according to Forbes. “I sold 50 million units…now I’m up here paying a tax debt. If that’s not likened to slavery, I don’t know what is.”
Hill, who is not shy about expressing her distaste for the music industry, recently signed a record deal with Sony. She is to report to prison on July 8.
Most Popular News
- Farrah Abraham Claims She's A Millionaire In Post-Surgery Interview
- Spiderman And More Capture Hearts At Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade [SLIDESHOW]
- Lady Gaga Arrives On Horse To 2013 AMAs, Performs With R Kelly
- Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell: Paul Walker'Â™s Girlfriend Collapsed After Learning Of His Death
- Kim Kardashian Diet Plan Revealed; Reality Star Shows Off Figure At 'THR' Event
Most Popular Videos
Wong Kar-wai Video Interview On 'The Grandmaster'
Scarlett Johansson And Joseph Gordon-Levitt On 'Don Jon,' Sex Scenes
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Patricia Cornwell Video Interview On 'Dust,' Kay Scarpetta, Sandy Hook, Her New TV Show
Steve Coogan Video Interview On 'Philomenia,' Judi Dench
Top Comedy Videos
The Most Shocking Celebrity Breakups Of 2013 - Your Tango
- Ryan Gosling & Rachel McAdams, Please Make Babies Already! - Your Tango
- Peter Jackson’s 10 Best Action Sequences - MovieFone