Jonathan Frid, Original 'Dark Shadows' Vampire, Dead At 87
Jonathan Frid, 87, the Canadian actor who popularized the character of Barnabas Collins in the original 1960s series Dark Shadows, died last week — on Friday the 13th. Johnny Depp, who plays Collins in the Tim Burton-directed movie remake of Dark Shadows, due out May 11, called Frid a "true original."
“Jonathan Frid was the reason I used to run home from school to watch Dark Shadows,” Depp, who is currently filming Gore Verbinski’s Lone Ranger on set in Arizona, told The Los Angeles Times. ”His elegance and grace was an inspiration then and will continue to remain one forever more. When I had the honor to finally meet him … [he] generously passed the torch of Barnabas.”
Frid died last Friday of natural causes in a hospital in his home town of Hamilton, Ontario. He has a cameo in the Burton film, along with two other original actors from the show.
Watch the trailer for Dark Shadows here:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV