J.K. Rowling Launches Pottermore Two Months Early
Despite original plans by Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling to launch the Pottermore website by opening it up to a select few (one million to be exact) in October, the magical and mysterious site launched early due to "overwhelming demand" that may have something to do with the sense of panic that set in for viewers at the end of the final film in the franchise, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2.
So Pottermore decided to meet that early demand and open its doors prematurely, though eager users are still finding the need to slip through the cracks. Since the launch on July 31, the site has experienced such heavy traffic that just to gain access can require hours of page refreshing, reports Gigwise.com. Persistent fans who stick it through are eventually prompted to answer a question about something that happened in one of the books. The question changes every day but is always easily searchable, if not common knowledge to anyone who would likely be an early entrant. Once this hurdle has been jumped, the user can click on a "Magic Quill" that leads him or her to the registration process, after which a confirmation informs that it could be about a week before the registration processes is complete and access is therefore re-granted, again due to "overwhelming demand."
The opportunity to register each day ends relatively early, as there is a daily cap on new users. "Be quick," the Pottermore site warns. "The Magical Quill won't be there for long and registration will only be open while spaces are still available each day." The website has been known to crash during the hectic virtual stampede, but that hasn't stopped fans from coming back to secure an early spot.
Pottermore, in addition to offering online versions of all seven Harry Potter books, will also feature 18,000 words of new material written by Rowling that delves into the details of the wizard world – the kind of stuff that true devotees would want to know about – but not a cohesive story in itself. Other magical delights the site might offer have been kept under lock and key, to be discovered by everyone – not just a select few – when the site goes completely public on October 1.
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Jennifer Lopez Films 'Live It Up' Music Video, Gunshots Fired During On Set Interview
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV