Jean Stapleton, Actress Who Played Edith On 'All In The Family,' Dies At 90
Jean Stapleton, best known for playing Edith on All in the Family, died of natural causes on Friday at her home in New York City. She was 90.
During her 8-year run on comedy sitcom All in the Family, playing Archie Bunker’s better half, Stapleton received eight Emmy nominations, and won the award eight times. At the time, All in the Family broke new ground, bringing to the small screen a number of hot-button political and social issues
Stapleton also earned Emmy nominations for her turn as Eleanor Roosevelt and a guest appearance on Grace Under Fire in 1982 and 1995, respectively. Stapleton also had roles on the silver screen, appearing in Nora Epron’s You’ve Got Mail and John Travolta vehicle Michael.
Stapleton started her acting career on the stage in New England in the 1940s. After hitting Broadway in the 50s, she landed the role of Mrs. Strakosh in Funny Girl alongside Barbra Streisand. She also appeared in Bells Are Ringing and Damn Yankees on Broadway, continuing her stage career into the 2000s
Stapleton’s husband, William Putch, predeceased her in 1983. She is survived by their children, John and Pamela.
Most Popular News
- Jeremiah Heaton Claimed Small Piece Of African Desert To Make His Daughter A Princess
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- Bill Skarsgard & Landon Liboiron On Their 'Hemlock Grove' Characters' 'Sexual Tension,' Gay Undertones [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- German Soccer Squad Returns Home To Heroes Welcome After World Cup Victory
- 'Grey'Â™s Anatomy': Season 11 Spoilers From Shonda Rhimes
Most Popular Videos
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Eli Roth & Famke Janssen On 'Hemlock Grove'
Gregg Sulkin On 'Affluenza,' 'Pretty Little Liars'