Hurricane Sandy Sinks HMS Bounty, Captain Missing, Crewperson Dead
The three-masted, 180-foot replica ship of the HMS Bounty, built for the 1962 movie, Mutiny on the Bounty, starring Marlon Brando, Trevor Howard and Richard Harris (itself a remake from the 1935 original film starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable), took its last voyage on Monday, when it succumbed to Hurricane Sandy. The incident killed one crew woman, Claudene Christian, 42, who was unresponsive when rescuers pulled her from the sea. The bounty's captain, Robin Walbridge, 63, is still missing.
Walbridge and Christian were thrown from the boat before they could reach the life rafts that held the other 14 members of the crew after they decided to abandon ship when its engines stopped working and it started taking on water, reports The New York Times. The ship, which was on its way from New London, Conn., to St. Petersburg, Fla., sank off the coast of Elizabeth City, N.C., but rescuers got the remaining 14 crew members to shore without incident and with no reported injuries.
The original Bounty, a British transport vessel, was the site of a 1789 mutiny in Tahiti, which was immortalized in both films.
For more like this:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV