Golden Globes 2012: The Funniest Moments
The 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards have come and gone, leaving as many bruised egos and crushed hopes in their wake as empty spray-on tan bottles. About 16.8 million viewers — roughly the same as last year's numbers — tuned in to see host Ricky Gervais serve Hollywood its own (heavily insured) rear end on a silver platter, but those who did were probably disappointed. Gervais, while funny at times, seemed more cautious — and less present — than last year; and the Globes, as a result, were at times borderline excruciating.
Thankfully, some of the world's best entertainers stepped in to do what they do best: entertain. Here are the top ten defibrillating moments from last night's ceremony:
10. George Clooney, bless him, walks out to present Moneyball carrying a cane, in spot-on imitation of his pal, Brad Pitt.
9. Gervais, in an early moment of irony that turned out to be rare: "Tonight you get Britain's biggest comedian hosting the world's second biggest awards show on America's third biggest network. Sorry, it's fourth. For any of you don't know, the Golden Globes are just like the Oscars, but without all that esteem."
8. Gervais goes for the low-hanging Kardashian: "The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton. Bit louder, bit trashier, bit drunker, and more easily bought. Allegedly. Nothing's been proved."
7. Clooney, again, while accepting Best Actor for The Descendants, alludes to the well-endowed Michael Fassbender's frequent frontal nudity. "I'd like to thank Michael Fassbender for taking over the full-frontal nudity responsibility that I had," and went on to joke how Fassbender could play golf with his hands behind his back.
6. "Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler, between them, played all the parts in the movie The Help." —Gervais
5. Describing the TV show Boardwalk Empire, Gervais said: "It's about a load of immigrants who came to Amercia about a hundred years ago and they got involved in bribery and corruption, and they worked themselves up into high society. But enough about the Hollywood Foreign Press."
4. Madonna, who gave an awkward acceptance speech for "Best Song" earlier in the night, made a comeback after Gervais introduced her with a tired "Like a Virgin" joke. "If I'm still just like a virgin, Ricky, then why don't you come over here and do something about it? I haven't kissed a girl in a few years — on TV," she shot back.
3. Accepting Best Actress in Motion Picture Drama, Meryl Streep released an expletive at realizing she'd forgotten her glasses at her table. Oops!
2. "I gotta thank ... England ... for everyone who let me come and trample over their .. history." — Streep
1. "Hello I'm Seth Rogen and I'm currently trying to conceal a massive erection." —Seth Rogen, standing next to Kate Beckinsale, who laughed
Read more here:
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- Michael Keaton Suits Up For ‘Birdman’
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Clive Owen Video Interview On 'Shadow Dancer,' Playing An MI-5 Agent
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic