EXCLUSIVE: U.S. Olympic Sprinter Sanya Richards-Ross: 'I Deserve To Be Here'
Team USA's sprinter Sanya Richards-Ross, 27, the reigning World Champion in the 400m race from 2009 and the recent gold medalist for the 2012 Summer Olympics in the 400m event, wasn't always so sure about the continuation of her Olympic career, especially when she was diagnosed with the autoimmune illness, Behcet's Disease, before competing in the 2008 Beijing games, where she won a team gold medal for the 4x400 meters relay and an individual bronze medal for the 400m.
After the 2008 Olympics, Richards-Ross learned that she had been misdiagnosed and that she suffered from a less pernicious, more treatable skin disease. She then amped up her training and returned to the 2012 Summer Olympics. "I always just try to channel that moment of being able to represent my country or to stand on that podium or go to the Olympic Games or World Championships," Richards-Ross said in an exclusive with Uinterview about overcoming moments of stress in training.
"That kind of gets me over the edge because I know that it’s in those moments that I get to have those other moments, so I work really hard in practice," she told us. And the challenge of nabbing a victory for Team USA also inspires Richards-Ross, who was born in Jamaica. "Wearing the USA across my chest means a lot. I think it has a very unique and significant meaning for me, because actually I was born in Jamaica, so I chose to become a citizen and chose to represent the United States. It means a lot to me because I feel the United States has given me so many opportunities, I just can’t imagine my life if I hadn’t moved here."
Check out Uinterview's exclusive with Sanya Richards-Ross here:
For more Uinterview exclusives and the stories on the 2012 London Olympics:
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV