Esperanza Spalding Sings At Oscars' In Memoriam Tribute
Though most of the tears shed at the Oscars come from victors accepting their trophies, the "In Memoriam" segment is always the saddest of the evening, when the members of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences who died during the past year are remembered.
This year the tribute honored recently deceased stars Jane Russell, Sidney Lumet, Farley Granger, and — of course — Whitney Houston and Elizabeth Taylor, among others. It was set to the beautiful singing voice of Grammy-winner Esperanza Spalding, backed by the Southern California Children's Choir. Spalding sang Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" while black-and-white photographs of the deceased Hollywood figures filled the screen.
Apple executive Steve Jobs was also honored at the "In Memoriam" segment for his lesser-known work co-founding Pixar Animation Studios and producing Pixar's first film, Toy Story, directed by John Lasseter, in 1995.
Spalding will follow up her previous album, Chamber Music Society, with the upcoming Radio Music Society, slated for release in March.
In the meantime, you can hear Spalding's touching tribute here:
Like these? Check out:
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Jennifer Lopez Films 'Live It Up' Music Video, Gunshots Fired During On Set Interview
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV