VIDEO: E. L. James' Husband Niall Leonard: Christian Grey Is 'A Mess'
As much as women all over the world might want Christian Grey from the enormously popular novel, Fifty Shades of Grey, by fanfiction author-turned-mommy-porn-trailblazer E. L. James, to be real, life just isn't imitating art (art?) this time around, says James' (whose real name is Erika Leonard) husband of over 20 years, Niall Leonard.
"He's a deeply damaged fantasy figure," Leonard told CNN about the anti-hero in Fifty Shades of Grey, who strikes up a bondage-heavy relationship with the young, impressionable Anastasia Steele. In a way, Erika very quickly realized that you couldn't sustain a long story with a guy who was perfect and perfectly happy — you're not going to go anywhere. So she very quickly realized that ... this character had a difficult time, and there was a lot of healing to do."
Getting around to the point, Leonard clarified, "So I'm very happy not to be Christian Grey, 'cause that guy is a mess." He did, however, lend a hand in helping his wife with Fifty Shades of Grey. "I wouldn't say I was her editor. I was a proofreader." And, while there's very little of him in the book, Leonard says he can recognize his wife Erika "in the emails that they [Ana and Christian] exchange, 'cause that's very much my wife's amazing ability to flirt via email."
Apart from that, "for all intents and purposes, we're just a regular family," he said.
Leonard, who also describes himself as a writer, has penned a book of his own. Crusher, about a boy searching for his father's killer, hits bookstores in Europe and Asia this week.
Names being tossed around for the role of Christian Grey in the movie version of Fifty Shades of Grey that will, no doubt, be cast soon, include Matt Bomer, Chris Pine, Chris Hemsworth, Henry Cavill, Ian Somerhalder, Bradley Cooper, Alexander Skarsgard and Ryan Gosling.
Watch the interview here:
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
For more on Fifty Shades of Grey:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV