Daryl Hannah Reveals Lifelong Struggle With Autism
Daryl Hannah, best known for 80s films Splash and Blade Runner, recently opened up about dealing with autism while living a life in the spotlight.
As a child, Hannah struggled to overcome her “debilitating shyness,” consequently, she told People, “I wasted so much time scared, self-conscious and insecure.” After her mother refused to allow doctors to have her institutionalized, Hannah found an outlet in acting and determined to relocate to Los Angeles at 17.
While Hannah found a passion in acting, the attention that eventually followed her was something that perpetually made her ill at ease. "I've never been comfortable being the center of attention,” the 52-year-old actress admitted. “It's always freaked me out."
Over the years, Hannah managed to find steady work in Hollywood, but she continued to be wary of telling producers about her autism – fearing it could cost her a job. The pressures of the film industry, in conjunction with Hannah’s natural aversion to fame, saw her eventually recede from bigger projects.
Ultimately, Hannah found a balance between her passion for environmental activism and acting, which allows her to remain under the radar and continue her career. In addition to some bigger projects such as A Walk to Remember and Kill Bill: Vol. 1, she’s been in multiple TV movies and is currently filming indie flick Skin Traffik with Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts.
– Chelsea Regan
Most Popular News
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- Aimee Richardson Is A 'Princess For Hire' After 'Game Of Thrones' Recasting
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant Patrick Jagodzinski On Andi Dorfman's Pick Of Josh Murray & Who Should Be The Next Bachelor [EXCLUSIVE]
- Bill Skarsgard & Landon Liboiron On Their 'Hemlock Grove' Characters' 'Sexual Tension,' Gay Undertones [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- German Soccer Squad Returns Home To Heroes Welcome After World Cup Victory
Most Popular Videos
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Eli Roth & Famke Janssen On 'Hemlock Grove'