'Country Strong' Flops In Sluggish Weekend At Box Office
In another slow weekend at the box office, Gwyneth Paltrow's Country Strong took in just $7.3 million in its first weekend of wide release, while Joel and Ethan Coen's western True Grit took in $15 million to win the weekend.
The only other movie opening to nationwide release was Nicolas Cage's thriller Season of the Witch. The Crusades-era film took in $10.7 million to finish at third place for the weekend. Little Fockers, the Ben Stiller-Robert DeNiro comedy, finished second with $13.8 million.
Grossing $110.3 million in three weeks, True Grit, which stars Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld and Matt Damon, has already become the highest-grossing Coen brothers' film of all time. The movie has received substantial awards buzz, which should boost its ticket sales further.
January is traditionally a slow month for new movies, as many moviegoers try to catch up on potential Oscar-nominated films. But with the release of the Seth Rogan action flick The Green Hornet and the Vince Vaughn-Kevin James comedy The Dilemma next weekend, Hollywood may see a boost in box office numbers next week. —ISHITA SINGH
Read below for full box office totals:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV