Conrad Murray's Girlfriend Provides Unusual Testimony
Nicole Alvarez, 29, the current girlfriend of Conrad Murray and the mother of his youngest child, gave testimony in court Tuesday that may not have helped his case. Murray is on trial for manslaughter in connection with the death of his patient, Michael Jackson, who died apparently due to an overdose from the anaesthetic propofol. In addition to saying that she received shipments addressed to Murray at the Santa Monica, Calif., apartment which she and Murray shared — shipments that, according to pharmacists, contained propofol apparently intended for Jackson — Alvarez also surprised the court with cheerful testimony about how Murray brought her to meet Jackson at his home.
Alvarez, who said she is an aspiring actress, was one of four women called to the stand by prosecutors to account for phone calls that Murray made on June 25, 2009, the day Jackson died. Prosecutors are arguing that the Houston-based doctor was so distracted while juggling his medical practice, personal life and superstar patient that he failed to give Jackson proper care. Murray has pleaded not guilty, and his attorneys claim Jackson took the fatal dose of propofol himself.
Despite the somber tone of the trial, Alvarez's gave ebullient testimony. She smiled at jurors on her way to the stand; she smiled frequently during her testimony; and when she described meeting Jackson for the first time, she all but gushed. "I first met him in 2008. It was a surprise and I was speechless. Michael was very excited about the pregnancy. He wanted to schedule visits so he could see my son and I went to see him one of two times during the day and once in the evening," she said.
One rather banal line of questioning brought out some particularly entertaining testimony from Alvarez. "As a professional actress, my daily duties consist of maintaining my instrument, going on several castings throughout town, meeting with several different casting directors... acting is a little bit different than a '9-to-5,' it's a little different, she said on the stand.
"Let me stop you and ask you another question. When you referred to an 'instrument,' what are you referring to?" Deputy District Attorney Deborah Brazil asked. "Myself. Myself. As an actor, your instrument is yourself," Alvarez responded, smiling brightly.
Alvarez said she received a phone call from Murray as he rode in an ambulance with Jackson."I remember him telling me that he was on the way to the hospital in an ambulance with Mr. Jackson and not to be alarmed," Alvarez said. "He was worried I would hear about it."
A video of Alvarez's complete testimony can be found here.
Here's a video from KTLA News in Los Angeles:
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV