Chris Broussard Calls Homosexuality A 'Sin' During ESPN Segment On Jason Collins
Chris Broussard, unlike the majority who have expressed support for Jason Collins's bravery in coming out, took the opportunity during the historic moment in sports to declare that homosexuality is a "sin."
During a segment on ESPN that centered on Collins being the first gay male athlete in a major American sport to come out publicly, Broussard voiced his disagreement with homosexuality. “If you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says ‘you know them by their fruits,’ it says that that’s a sin,” said Broussard.
“And if you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality — adultery, fornication, pre-marital sex between heterosexuals — whatever it may be, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and Jesus Christ, so I would not characterize that person as a Christian,” he added.
Perhaps Broussard is referencing Collins's brief mention of his Christian upbringing in his revealing Sports Illustrated editorial. “I take the teachings of Jesus seriously, particularly the ones that touch on tolerance and understanding," he wrote, after praising his parents for the way in which they encouraged him to grow as a person and be open to new things.
Broussard's comments caused quite a stir yesterday, and forced ESPN to answer for their commentator's remarks. "We regret that a respectful discussion of personal viewpoints became a distraction from today's news," ESPN said in a statement to Entertainment Weekly. "ESPN is fully committed to diversity and welcomes Jason Collins's announcement."
Most Popular News
- Sidney Poitier Receives Standing Ovation While Presenting Best Director At The Oscars
- Marc Anthony Collects 4 Awards At Premio Lo Nuestro A La Musica Latina Gala
- 'Fantastic Four' Casting: Michael B. Jordan And Kate Mara Confirmed For Reboot, Miles Teller And Jamie Bell Rumored
- 'Talking Angela' Children's App Victim Of Online Hoax Claiming The App Is Dangerous
- Rose McIver Films 'Petals On The Wind'Â™ With Heather Graham, Ellen Burstyn
Most Popular Videos
Top Comedy Videos
Harry Connick, Jr: 'I Married The Girl Of My Dreams' - Your Tango