Brad Pitt Donates Up To $100K To Same-Sex Marriage
Brad Pitt, 48, the star who famously said he wouldn’t consider getting married until gays also had the same right, is putting his money where his mouth is. Pitt agreed to match every contribution dollar-for-dollar to the Human Rights Campaign to fight anti-gay marriage initiatives in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington State, where the right for homosexual couples to marry is on the ballot for November 6. Pitt will match up to $100,000.
In an email to HRC members and supporters, Pitt expressed his disappointment over the fact that this issue is even on the ballot and his hope that supporters of gay marriage will fight and win. “It's unbelievable to me that people's lives and relationships are literally being voted on in a matter of days,” Pitt wrote. “In Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington, voters will go to the polls to decide if gay and lesbian couples – our friends and neighbors – are worthy of the same protections as everyone else. But that's the system we have and I'm not going to back down from the fight for loving and committed couples to have the ability to marry. Especially when groups like the Human Rights Campaign are fighting these battles day-in and day-out.”
Pitt made news in 2006 when he told Esquire magazine he would “consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able." Perhaps Pitt, whose mother penned a surprising anti-gay letter to her newspaper earlier this year, and his partner, Angelina Jolie, are optimistic about the upcoming results, however. They announced their engagement in April 2012.
For more like this:
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- ‘Man Of Steel’ Makes World Premiere In New York City
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
- Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone On The Lonely Island, 'The Wack Album'