Anna Wintour One Of Barack Obama's Biggest Fundraisers
Celebrated Vogue editor Anna Wintour is one of Barack Obama's 27 "mega-bundlers," powerful fundraisers who each collect at least $500,000 for the president's 2012 re-election campaign and the Democratic National Committee, Politico reports.
Recently named the 69th most powerful woman by Forbes, Wintour recently said that, despite her reputation for iciness and fashion industry obsession, she thinks of herself as neither intimidating nor all that powerful. "I don’t think of myself as a powerful person," she said. "You know, what does it mean? It means you get a better seat in a restaurant or tickets to a screening or whatever it may be. But it is a wonderful opportunity to be able to help others, and for that I’m extremely grateful."
That may explain why Wintour is so involved in helping out the Obamas, whose presidency she has said she believes in. Another reason: her brother, Patrick Wintour, is the politics editor at the UK's Guardian, demonstrating how a passion for both publications and politics run in the family.
Wintour has raised more than three times as much for Obama as she did in 2008, mainly by making phone calls to her extensive network of wealthy friends, but also by hosting events that carry quite the price tag. One, co-hosted by movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and held at his home in Greenwich Village, cost $35,800 a head, and was attended by Gwyneth Paltrow, her husband Chris Martin, Jimmy Fallon, Vera Wang and Alicia Keys. “This is a pretty good looking crowd,” Obama said at the August 11 event. And thanks in large part to Wintour, he was not joking.
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- Cassadee Pope Performs ‘Wasting All These Tears’ On ‘The Voice’ [VIDEO]
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
- Clive Owen Video Interview On 'Shadow Dancer,' Playing An MI-5 Agent