Amy Winehouse Doesn't See Herself As Fashion Icon
Amy Winehouse just wants to rock. The big-haired British soul singer, who is designing a line for iconic sportswear outfitter Fred Perry, denies her fashion credibility.
"I love Fred Perry so much. I was honored that they would even, like, 'Do you want to come and do a line?' Me? Like, me?" She said in this month's issue of Harper's Bazaar. Winehouse, 27, has garnered more attention for her messy personal life than her style in the past few years, with tabloids reporting her violent disputes with ex-husband Blake Fielder-Civil and her heavy drug and alcohol usage.
But her soulful tunes and rockabilly dash have made a serious impact in both fashion and music, even if she doesn't seem to recognize it. "Uh-huh. I don't think that's true," she said, after being told she was a fashion icon. "I just dress like ... I'm an old black man ... like I'm an old Jewish black man. I just dress like it's still the '50s." But Richard Martin, a marketing manager from Fred Perry, praised her work for the label. "Detailing, fabrics—she was all over it," he said. "All over it."
Winehouse was loose and unedited at the photo shoot, throwing back wine and ordering around photographer Bryan Adams. Polly Vernon, the reporter on the story, was taken aback by Winehouse's messy demeanor. "She is just not ... present. She is distracted and vague," she wrote. "My most straightforward questions confuse her." At the end of the interview, Vernon asked Winehouse if she was happy. "I'm happy about this salad," Winehouse replied, before Vernon gets her to admit, "I've got a ve'y nice boyfriend. He's ve'y good to me." Finally, asked if she has any unfulfilled ambitions, the singer answered quickly. "Nope!" she said. "If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl." –AMY LEE
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV