Amber Portwood Talks Rehab, Suicide Attempt
Reality star Amber Portwood's personal and legal dramas have been publicly playing out lately, which launched the season four premiere of MTV's Teen Mom into high drama on Tuesday night.
The troubled Portwood, 22, mother to Leah, 3, with ex Gary Shirley, was recently sentenced to a five-year prison stint when she opted out of a rehabilitation program that had been court ordered as an alternative to prison. "In my situation, I felt in the program there were a lot of eyes on me," she told ABC News in a new jailhouse interview, reports the New York Daily News. "You know, I was very depressed, all alone, all bitter at everybody. I felt like that wasn't the life I wanted to live. I felt like I'd rather do my time and get it over with and make the best out of the situation that's been handed to me."
Teen Mom, which was filmed before the sentence was handed down, told a different story with Portwood, as she visited her Shirley in one scene and started heavily drinking, explaining that she had not had a drink since she turned 21. In Portwood-speak, the fact that she was drinking wine "to get the fact that I'm leaving rehab [in a previous stint] off my mind" made total sense.
Then Portwood, who has also been famous for her bouts of domestic violence against Shirley, started going at him again. "People wonder why I hit you in your f**king face. You're just a rude, mean person and I'm the bitch for hitting you?" she yelled.
At the time of the filming, Portwood was gong through what she called "addiction problems" and "mental problems" in the later ABC News interview. She referred to trying to kill herself in June of last year, and again when she "took 30 Suboxone [a treatment for opioid addiction] within three days," she said. "The depression took over. I'd just take four to five at a time underneath my tongue, and nod out."
Now that the next few years are laid out for Portwood — she's only expected to serve about half the time of her full sentence — she is looking on the lighter side of things. "I'm going to take some classes. I'm going to get my GED, take as many programs as I can," Portwood told the news station. "You know, just try to better myself for when I do get out and not stay in prison .... I'll be off the drugs, I'll have an education and get me a job."
For more on Amber Portwood, 'Teen Mom,' and like cases:
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Jennifer Lopez Films 'Live It Up' Music Video, Gunshots Fired During On Set Interview
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV