Israeli singer and actress Meital Dohan, who is best known for her role as Yael Hoffman in the Showtime series Weeds, has fans anxiously awaiting the release of her debut album, I’m in Love with Hate. After catching the attention of legendary hip-hop producer Che Pope, who has worked with artists such as Eminem, Lauryn Hill, and Dr. Dre, Dohan has approached music in a way that mirrors her fun and positive feelings about the world.
Dohan, 32, is no stranger to the spotlight, as she has also appeared in other works such as the web comedy Woke Up Dead, and co-starred in the film, Monogamy, which won the Best Narrative Feature at the Tribeca Film Festival. And for the past year, this sexy singer/actress has been burning up YouTube with her latest hit “Yummy.”
In our exclusive interview, Dohan talks about the video shoot for her wildly popular music video, the message behind it, what it’s like to work with Rami Afuni from LMFAO, her debut album, acting career, and her plans for the future.
- Q: The video for 'Yummy' looked like a lot of fun. Tell us about shooting it. - Uinterview User
- A: I like it; it is meditational. That’s basically the alternative for quick meditation.
- Q: How did you pull it off? - Uinterview User
- A: Well, we almost got arrested. We actually talked to the priests, you know, and, besides that, people were really nonchalant about it. It’s like – oh yeah – here’s another naked woman running on the street.
- Q: And you were actually completely naked when you shot it? You didn’t wear some cover up? - Uinterview User
- A: Yeah, I covered myself up. I had a G-string and pasties, but that doesn’t make a lot of difference, right?
- Q: And what did the police say when you were filming it? - Uinterview User
- A: Oh, luckily, the police arrived when I had my robe on; so we just had a conversation and, basically, they let us go.
- Q: But someone actually called the police? - Uinterview User
- A: No, they were just traveling around and we just met at one of our locations.
- Q: Did you have a message with the video? Were you trying to make some sort of statement? - Uinterview User
- A: Yeah, I mean, on one hand, it is just as simple as it is: a reflection of a secret dream that probably a lot of people have. A lot of people are like - oh yeah - I just sort of wake up one day, I put my shoes on and I go and just f***ing punch everyone, but of course it’s not very educational. And on another level it is basically everything that I am trying to talk about, which is that we are in a new generation, in my album called "I'm In Hate with Love." A lot of my songs and a lot of my visuals are going to be about the gender switch that is happening, that we are experiencing in our society where women are so powerful and are being requested to wear so many different hats that it puts us all in imbalance and we all need to adapt to the new era. And so in a sense, it’s a woman, who wakes up. She is naked, but she is still powerful. She has boxing gloves, she goes into her day, and she needs to do this super hero trick in order to win. In a sense I feel this is something that women can identify with.
- Q: On the album, you got to work with Rami Afuni from LMFAO. What was that like? - Uinterview User
- A: Rami is a very hard worker, a talented, no nonsense guy. Just my type of guy.
- Q: What else can you tell us about your album? - Uinterview User
- A: The first single, "Yummy," is part of what the whole album is going to be. The album is going to be a collection of electro pop tracks. Some of them are going to be more lounge-y and some of them are going to be more dance-y and this one is one of the more dance-y ones. We are probably going to follow it with more dance-y ones. My next single is going to be dance-y.
- Q: Speaking of dance-y, you got to perform at the Winter Music Conference and at the White Party. Tell us about those experiences. - Uinterview User
- A: You know what? It’s a lot of fun. I’ve been a performer my whole life. I was in theater for years in Israel. It’s like, this is why am in the profession, so that I can make other people’s lives better. That’s the only reason to be in this profession. If I can stand in front of people, see them happier, talk about my show, and it makes them laugh and go crazy, then that’s what it’s all about.
- Q: I know you have a background in serious acting both here and in Israel, but how did you get into music? - Uinterview User
- A: It’s a very hokey-pokey story. To summarize my whole life story, I basically did the Dancing With The Stars version of Israel. That was, basically, a coincidence because they had offered me that gig over and over again, but I always didn’t think it was the right kind of [thing]. I was always a serious actor. I did comedy, but didn’t like that [DWTS] on TV. Then, I was like, "What the hell? I am just going to dance and have some fun." Then, I have a great spiritual guide in Israel and, basically, we were sitting down and, all of a sudden, she said, “Now you have to go back to America, immediately, and start doing music.” I’m like what? She’s like, “Yeah, it’s all going to happen really, really fast and that is what you are going to do.” So I was completely confused, but since she’s been my spiritual guide for a while I just followed what she said and the third person that we called who understood me, was basically, who produced the album. I started working with him and I didn’t even know – we did some research and we found out that he had worked with all the people I love and admire like Lauryn Hill, Dr. Dre, and Eminem. And, basically, that’s how it all happened!
- Q: Can you tell us a little about how you grew up in Israel and how you got into acting? - Uinterview User
- A: I grew up in a village. I always acted. I always did some performances, took class and this and that, but an actor was the last thing that I was going to be because I was very shy. I didn’t think it was going to be my work. Eventually, when I was 16, I came as an exchange student to America and didn’t act for half a year. I realized how much I loved it, so I made the decision to be an actor when I was 17 and basically, since then, my career took off in Israel. I did everything from theater to television and films and, after a while, life brought me here to America.
- Q: You are well known for having been on Weeds, which has a cult following in the U.S. Is there any chance you will be back on Weeds? - Uinterview User
- A: The experience was phenomenal. It was one of these experiences that was just pure fun and they were talking to me about coming back a few times. If it is going to happen or not, I don’t really know.
- Q: What's next for you? - Uinterview User
- A: I have a new single that is going to come out soon. It’s with a great artist but I can’t reveal who it is right now. I co-wrote the single with George Robertson who came up with the idea of ‘I’m Sexy and I Know It’ with LMFAO. It’s going to be, again, a very fun track. I am actually very excited about it. So that is the next move. I am performing in LA, in San Francisco, and then I will start performing in Europe. Then the next single will come and they will be off.
Jason Castro's Top Pop Picks
"I love that book... it’s a short, easy read, but I love the imagination, it really inspires me."
"It's a fantastic book… on the subject, I think it’s a great book for both married people and single people. I think that’s what I love about it, the way it’s written. It’s just really cool, asking ‘What do
"It's the last full album. I loved to listen to from beginning to end.
"Really anything adventure!"
Most Popular Videos
Derek Hough On 'Make Your Move,' BoA, 'Dancing With The Stars'
Shawn Ashmore On 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past,' Ice Man, 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Jacki Weaver On 'Magic In The Moonlight,' Woody Allen
Top Comedy Videos
Most Popular News
- Submarine Shark Hoax: 'Shark Of Darkness: Wrath Of Submarine' Is Discovery Channel's Latest Shark Week Mockumentary
- Lourdes Leon Hits The Beach In A Bikini
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Wear Revealing Dresses On MMVA Red Carpet
- 'War Machine' Jon Koppenhaver, Goes On Twitter Rant Following Alleged Beating Of Girlfriend, Christy Mack
- Tony Stewart Crash Update: New Video Surfaces Of Wreck That Killed Kevin Ward Jr.