London Fashion Week Opens With Helena Christensen And Alice Temperley
Fashionistas, fear not. London's Fashion Week begins today, picking up where New York left off with more major designers, flashy celebrities and, most importantly, the best fashion has to offer. The prolific occasion was marked by the twenty-fifth anniversary of Antoni Burakowski and Alison Roberts of Antoni & Alison, who celebrated with 38 festive dresses adorned with giant bows and trompe l'oeil belts — and a bonafide brass band on the catwalk. But Antoni & Alison aren't the only ones that have made it a long way. "You wouldn't recognise it," Burakowski told The Guardian of London Fashion Week today in comparison to 1987, when the duo were just beginning. "Everyone back then was looking at the older designers, not the newer ones. But that has completely reversed now." Supermodel Helena Christensen, who launched her Triumph lingerie today, agreed, and extolled trailblazing designers like Alice Temperley and Matthew Williamson for bringing prestige to the British fashion industry. "They started out around the same time as I did and have built their labels into mini-empires," Christensen said, adding that "London is a great fashion week city, full of great talent."
Another contributing element may be British designers' shift towards a customer-oriented approach, opined Tom Chapman of top end retailer Matches, whose support of local figures is essential to London Fashion Week's success. "British designers have moved the plate so much to what they were doing five or ten years ago," Chapman said. "Rather than doing an ego trip, designers are making sure what they put on the runway is actually wearable," added business partner Ruth Chapman, who noted an improvement in the fit and quality of current designs. Alexander McQueen, on his part, showed his support for London Fashion Week by opening the first McQ boutique on Dover Street and announcing plans to show menswear at January's London Collections Men — another style event that is quickly adding to London's fashion capital credentials.
Check out Helena Christensen's lingerie line:
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV