Unwearable Fashion: Lady Gaga Opens For Michael Jackson-Inspired Philip Treacy Show
Because high fashion isn't inaccessible enough, London Fashion Week is upping the stakes with the latest head-scratching trend: designs that are not only unwearable on the street, but really anywhere. The last five days have seen a hodgepodge of bizarre and shocking items being paraded on the British runway, including head corsets, bejeweled gas masks, undulating protrusions, integrated light fixtures and abundant nudity — particularly of the derriere-bearing kind. Many of these unique ideas pertained to Philip Treacy's collection, which showcased the most outrageous headpieces of Spring 2013. Inspired by Michael Jackson's Thriller, Treacy's headwear drew on the glittery, military-style looks of the pop icon to create a whimsical, absurdist show worthy of the late eccentric. "It’s the most exciting show I have ever done," Treacy told The New York Times. "Michael Jackson did better than anyone the sense of the extraordinary."
Among the attendees was the equally thespian Lady Gaga, who opened the show wearing a full-body neon pink veil and was later spotted wearing a facial wreath on the front row. Following Gaga, the models — all of African descent — sported hats and headdresses designed to tell the story of Jackson's life, and paired with real outfits worn by Jackson during his performances, such as the red Thriller jacket, a breakaway suit from his 80s BAD tour and the black Spandex outfit from the Scream video. So why hats? "I believe that the hats are a futuristic way of showing the most beautiful clothes I have ever seen,” said Treacy. "I was thinking of Napoléon’s words: ‘with baubles that men are led.’ These [Jackson's] clothes were designed to fill a stadium of 80,000 people. Yet they are made like haute couture."
See the magic for yourself:
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV