Todd Snyder Masters 'Saharan Prep'
Named among GQ's best new menswear designers of 2012 and nominated for this year's Swarovski Award for Menswear (alongside winner Phillip Lim and Antonio Azzuolo), Todd Snyder is all the rage this year — and he proved why on Friday at New York Fashion Week, when he unveiled his Spring 2013 collection at the prestigious Lincoln Center. Inspired by The English Patient, Snyder's pieces played into a "Saharan Prep" style that was dominated by military trousers, bomber jackets, corduroy pants and linen cardigan sweaters, all in a neutral, sandy palette that ranged from dusty khaki to sun-faded reds contrasted with the occasional navy or white for effect. "It's one of my favorite movies," Snyder told The Los Angeles Times of his inspiration. "And menswear goes through these cycles — there was work wear for a while, and then there was military and then preppy, and this was a perfect way to combine elements of both the military and the preppy."
Snyder polished his wholesome looks with simple textures — and, of course, denim, which he gets straight from a factory in Tokyo. "Kuroki denim mills, the best denim in Japan. It’s the Mercedes of denim and chino. All of our selvage chino comes from there," Snyder told Style.com. "The mills are second-generation family-owned. They are so proud of their factory and product," Snyder added.
But that's not the only "family" he supports. Snyder, a J Crew and Gap alumni, has not forgotten his origins. Earlier this summer, Snyder helped Gap install and curate a pop-up shop on Fifth Avenue featuring the Gap + Threadless summer collection, which showcases unique T-shirt designs by emerging Chicago artists. “I presented the idea to Gap,” Snyder told WWD. "Art doesn’t get the attention it needs," he said, adding that "this brings their art to life.” Snyder's own Gap capsule collection will be released in October.
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV