Anna Sui's 'Steampunk Love' Rocks Spring 2013
Campier than Gary Graham's neo-Victorian edge and decidedly more retro than Ann Demuelemeester's avant-garde deconstructionism, Anna Sui nevertheless proved herself worthy of the Steampunk stamp on the Spring 2013 runway — unveiling an eclectic line that seemed to waver on the border of an identity crisis before reeling it back just far enough to turn the combination of French antique influences and the designer's own 70s punk background into one exquisitely bizarre show. Mashing up embroidered brocade in pastels with leather bondage pants, Sui stayed true to her arts-and-crafts foundation, as well as her wig fetish, adorning models with short cotton-candy pink or aqua blue hair that tapped into the sci-fi roots of Steampunk while remaining playful and light.
Detroit-born Sui, whose quintessential rock glam style has earned her a cult-like following, coincidentally unleashed her measured chaos shortly after the Metropolitan Museum of Art announced its 2013 exhibit "PUNK: Chaos to Couture," which celebrates the punk aesthetic of the likes of Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm Mclaren.
Check out Anna Sui's style at last year's Fashion Week Spring 2012:
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV